Ever wanted to make a podcast? The one-day training is just what you’ve been looking for. At the end of the day you’ll know where to start – hint, this is way before you hit the recording button, and how to get your podcast into Spotify and Apple Podcasts. We’ll take you through all of the steps you need to go through – concept development, interview technique, recording technique and equipment tips, editing, publication and promotion.
At the end of the day you’ll have the tools to start your podcast journey.
Our starting point is the ten-step plan.
- Goal: why are you making this podcast and what do you want to achieve?
- Target audience: who is it for? Zooming-in helps determine the tone-of-voice and overall podcast style.
- Message: what are saying with the podcast – what is your content? This follows on seamlessly from the first two points.
- Subject per episode: Which specific stories are you going to tell? Every episode has to add something to the overall theme for your target audience.
- Format: There are lots of different format options, which will you choose to best meet your goals? An interview podcast, magazine-style, discussion, solo, or a fully-fledged storytelling podcasts complete with soundscapes?
- Speakers: who will you invite to take part as guests? And, who is the host – the voice of the podcast? Maybe you want to hire an experienced presenter to host your show?
- Selection and editing: whatever your format you will need to select the best material from the recording and edit it together. Getting rid of the dull moments and keeping the podcast on-topic for the target audience is key. Adding voice-overs can help make the content more dynamic and to the point.
- Frequency and length: how many episodes will a season of your podcast have and how long will each episode be?
- Distribution: Where will people be able to find your podcast? Spotify and Apple Podcasts are crucial but there are other options too.
- Promotion: a vital step – which channels and tools will you use to push the podcast? Make sure you dedicate time to this on a regular basis to build up your audience.